Chicken Divan Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup cooking sherry or water
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen cut or chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 3 to 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a small saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter. Add flour, stirring until blended. Stir in the cream and cooking sherry or water; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 more minutes. Blend in soup until smooth; remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place broccoli in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover with rice and then half of the sauce. Top with chicken. Stir shredded cheese into remaining sauce; pour over the chicken.
- Melt the remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Divan(9)
Sort By :
Pretty good recipe I did add some chopped scallions to the sauce for some added flavor. I also seasoned my chicken with ground mustard, cayenne pepper, salt, and some black pepper. Plus Panko bread crumbs for a crispier finish.
MY FAMILY HAS FALLEN IN LOVE WITH THIS.
It sounded somewhat bland so I added 2 Tbsp whole grain Dijon mustard. Yum. 3 stars by itself, 5 w/ the Dijon.
The taste was okay. The texture of the dish was too heavy initially. The next day's leftovers left me bored and uninterested. I didn't care for this dish and will never make it again.
My family liked this a lot. Sherry flavor was a little strong, might use half sherry, half water next time. I used whole milk, and it was still very rich and creamy. Also felt it could use more rice- maybe they meant 1 c rice, cooked? I think you could use 2 c of cooked rice with all the sauce it made. Overall a good recipe, especially for company. I would say it actually would feed 6-8.