- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup cooking sherry or water
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen cut or chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 3 to 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a small saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter. Add flour, stirring until blended. Stir in the cream and cooking sherry or water; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 more minutes. Blend in soup until smooth; remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place broccoli in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover with rice and then half of the sauce. Top with chicken. Stir shredded cheese into remaining sauce; pour over the chicken.
- Melt the remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Divan
Sort By :
"This was good, but I think I'll use fresh broccoli next time. Frozen seems to be too stringy. I will make this again!!"
"The recipe says LOW carbohydrates, not no carbohydrates. As a diabetic this works great for me."
"You put this as a low carb recipe in a recent email, breadcrumbs and flour not allowed. I bet it tastes awesome but not LC."
"Pretty good recipe I did add some chopped scallions to the sauce for some added flavor. I also seasoned my chicken with ground mustard, cayenne pepper, salt, and some black pepper. Plus Panko bread crumbs for a crispier finish."
"MY FAMILY HAS FALLEN IN LOVE WITH THIS."