This great recipe was given to me by a friend years ago, and it's been a family favorite ever since. My daughters enjoy making this dish in their own homes and get the same enthusiastic compliments I always do! For a change, I sometimes substitute frozen carrots for half of the broccoli.
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup cooking sherry or water
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen cut or chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 3 to 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a small saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter. Add flour, stirring until blended. Stir in the cream and cooking sherry or water; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 more minutes. Blend in soup until smooth; remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place broccoli in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover with rice and then half of the sauce. Top with chicken. Stir shredded cheese into remaining sauce; pour over the chicken.
- Melt the remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Divan in Reminisce Extra October 1993, p49
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Chicken Divan
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review