- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup cooking sherry or water
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen cut or chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 3 to 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1. In a small saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter. Add flour, stirring until blended. Stir in the cream and cooking sherry or water; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 more minutes. Blend in soup until smooth; remove from the heat and set aside.
- 2. Place broccoli in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Cover with rice and then half of the sauce. Top with chicken. Stir shredded cheese into remaining sauce; pour over the chicken.
- 3. Melt the remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until heated through.
1 cup: 412 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 798mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein.
Feb 16, 2020Delicious!! I used broccoli cheese and creamy cauliflower soups. I also didn’t have sherry, so I omitted it. I was afraid it would be too much, but it was absolutely my favorite version of chicken divan. I miss a crunch, so next time I’ll add some slivered almonds.
Feb 10, 2020Everyone in my family loves this recipe. From adults to small children. I wouldn’t change a thing about it.
Sep 30, 2019Folks...this is a delicious recipe. Chicken Divan is supposed to have broccoli in it, so providing a 1-star rating because you don't think it should include it, is pure poppy-cock! LOL I prefer using fresh broccoli, only because I think frozen adds more water content in the end result, but either is fine. This is a keeper, thank you!
Aug 16, 2019The broccoli is way too strong for this delicate sauce. I will not make it again.
Feb 3, 2019I made this per recipe the first time. I thought it could be better so the second time I changed it up a bit. Substituted 1 can cream of celery soup for the cream of chicken and crushed Stove Top stuffing for the soft bread crumbs. YUM!!
Dec 14, 2017
I cut this in half for just my husband and I and put it all in an 8x8 pan. I really think you could taste and smell the cooking sherry so I would definitely suggest using that over the water. The meal had a different flavor than I expected and we were pleasantly surprised. I do feel it could have done better with a bit more rice. I hate the texture of frozen broccoli so I used fresh that I had steamed. A good meal, but I'm not sure how the leftovers will hold up. 4-star for now, I'll update to 5 if the leftovers are still good.
Oct 1, 2017
This dish was rated very high by my family of 11, which is a hard feat to accomplish in this household. I did make a few changes tho, instead of half n’ half i made my own, and I used Chicken broth instead of Sherry, added more broccoli, doubled the rice and slightly more chicken, and for the bread crumbs I substituted crushed cornbread stuffing cubes…very tasty
May 25, 2017
I really liked it but I did make a few changes. I used fresh broccoli (I cooked it for 2 min in microwave), I used chicken broth in place of sherry or water, and I topped it with a can of french fried onion rings instead of the breadcrumbs. I really loved the onion rings on top. I also used double the rice.
Dec 31, 1969
This was good, but I think I'll use fresh broccoli next time. Frozen seems to be too stringy. I will make this again!!
Dec 31, 1969
The recipe says LOW carbohydrates, not no carbohydrates. As a diabetic this works great for me.