Chicken and Black Bean Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 18 tortilla chips
- Shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, optional
- Place a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Reserve 2 tablespoons broth; add remaining broth to pan. Stir in corn, beans, tomatoes, jalapeno, cilantro, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and reserved broth until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Top servings with crushed chips and, if desired, cheese. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Chicken and Black Bean Soup(7)
Sort By :
Fantastic soup! My husband raved about it after eating 2 whole bowls!
We really liked this soup and will make it again. My chicken was frozen so I boiled and shredded it rather than cooking in the pan. I also omitted the jalapeno, as I forgot it at the store. Still had great flavor. I think next time I will add more cornstarch to thicken it up a little more. Very yummy!
Very tasty soup - and easy to throw together with ingredients I have on hand.
Easy enough for my husband to make! Really delicious!
Really enjoyed this mildly spicy soup! Just made this tonight and my husband and I almost ate the whole pot. I didn't change the recipe other than the order I put it together. I used some oil to cook the chicken in then bloomed the spices in the oil before adding the broth. I didn't add the fresh cilantro until the very end so it would hold it's fresh flavor. For topping options, I offered sour cream, fresh cilantro, sharp white cheddar and tortilla chips. My least favorite part of the soup was the chicken chunks. Next time I think I will slice the chicken breast into thin strips or not add it at all. Loved how fast and easy it was. :)
More Recipe Collections
- Boneless Chicken Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Soup >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Mexican Recipes >