- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 6 cups sliced peeled fresh pears (about 5 large)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- In a large bowl, toss pears and cherries with lemon juice and extract. In a small bowl, mix sugar and cornstarch; add to pear mixture, tossing to coat. Transfer to pastry-lined pie plate.
- For topping, in a small bowl, mix flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in almonds. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edge loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Cherry Pear Pie
"I haven't made this yet, and I can't wait to try it. I know that it will be a 5-star dessert. I like your idea of topping it with frozen yogurt; a cherry sorbet would work as well. If you want to indulge, though, use a dark chocolate ice cream or Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream, and then drizzle a little chocolate sauce over it all."
"This pie was loved by every member of the family and I will be making often since it is so healthy too. The whole pie was gone by the next morning b/c everyone had another slice for breakfast! Very good!"
"Flavor of this pie was wonderful. My husband said it tasted like something you'd have at a "fancy restaurant." This will become a tradition at my house."