Sausage provides plenty of flavor in this hearty morning casserole shared by Teresa Marchese from New Berlin, Wisconsin. It's a great addition to a brunch buffet, because it's assembled the night before to cut down on last-minute fuss.
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 9 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 9 slices bread, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the eggs, milk, bread, cheese, bacon and mustard. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Cheese Sausage Strata in Quick Cooking March/April 2001, p38
Reviews for Cheese Sausage Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review