Cheddar Pear Pie Recipe
- 4 large ripe pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 frozen pie shell (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the pears, sugar, cornstarch and salt; toss gently to coat. Pour into pie shell.
- For topping, combine the cheese, flour, sugar and salt; stir in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 425° for 25-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted. Cool on a wire rack for 15-20. Serve warm. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Cheddar Pear Pie
Sort By :
"I loved it! Good use of pears that need to be eaten up. The cheese topping was what really made it for me."
"I have been making this recipe for years. We have a pear tree in our yard and my family looks forward to this pie every year!"
"This is a lovely pie. I did make a few changes. I added some sliced apples to the mix along with some cinnamon. I also blind baked the pie crust for about 5 minutes. Like several others I found the filling to be a tad runny. Next time I will add more cornstartch or will pre cook the pears before adding it to the pie shell. My top browned very quickly so I reduced the temp and covered it with foil.Still we enjoyed every bite. A few minor adjustments will put this pie in the winners circle."
"My husband loves this pie too. I haven't made it in years, but am having for Thanksgiving this year because the pears in the store were so perfect this morning. If it turns out too runny, you might try increasing the cornstarch. I believe the ripeness of the pears affects the juiciness of the the pie. My pears are pretty ripe so I will increase the cornstarch. (Actually, I'll be using flour because I don't think I have cornstarch)."
"We loved this pie so much! I made my own pie crust and used sharp cheddar. Will definitely make again!"