I thought there must be a simpler (and less messy!) way to enjoy a caramel apple—and I was right! I developed this recipe myself, and my caramel apple-loving family approved.
Recommended: Caramel Apple-Inspired Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/2 cups shredded peeled tart apples
- 35 caramels
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup salted peanuts, chopped
- 1 unbaked pie shell (9 inches)
- Place apples in a strainer to drain. Place caramels and water in a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water; heat for 10 minutes or until caramels are partially melted. Cover and set aside, keeping caramels in pan over heated water.
- In a small bowl, whisk the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, flour and eggs. Squeeze excess moisture from apples and stir into egg mixture. Add peanuts. Add melted caramels and stir to mix. Pour into pie shell.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until set. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Caramel Apple Pie in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p72