I have a thriving country garden and try a lot of recipes using my squash. It's a pleasure to present this beautiful casserole as part of a holiday menu or anytime. —Lucille Terry, Frankfort, Kentucky
- 2 cups sliced yellow summer squash (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 cup sliced zucchini (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook until squash is tender, about 6 minutes. Drain well; set aside.
- Combine crumbs and butter; spoon half into a greased shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the soup, water chestnuts, carrot, mayonnaise, pimientos, sage, pepper and remaining salt; fold in squash mixture. Spoon over crumbs.
- Sprinkle with cheese and the remaining crumb mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Calico Squash Casserole in Taste of Home August/September 1997, p29
Reviews for Calico Squash Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review