- 2 cups sliced yellow summer squash (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 cup sliced zucchini (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook until squash is tender, about 6 minutes. Drain well; set aside.
- Combine crumbs and butter; spoon half into a greased shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the soup, water chestnuts, carrot, mayonnaise, pimientos, sage, pepper and remaining salt; fold in squash mixture. Spoon over crumbs.
- Sprinkle with cheese and the remaining crumb mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Calico Squash Casserole
Sort By :
Great summer recipe. I will make this again. Even the meat lovers loved it.
I have made this recipe for several summers. It is delicious! I think I started just using green onions rather than both, though. But it's delicious whichever way!
Very good. I left out the water chestnuts because I don't like them, but otherwise followed the recipe. Will definitely make this again.
This is a delicious casserole. I used Stove Top Stuffing instead of the crackers and mozzarella cheese instead of the cheddar. I usually try to cut calories when possible, so I used a light mayonnaise. Next time, I'll reduce the butter too. My husband loved it.
I took this to a potluck and it was gone quickly. Very good.