Calico Squash Casserole Recipe
- 2 cups sliced yellow summer squash (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 cup sliced zucchini (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups crushed Keebler® Toasteds® Crackers
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients; add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook until squash is tender, about 6 minutes. Drain well; set aside.
- Combine crumbs and butter; spoon half into a greased shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the soup, water chestnuts, carrot, mayonnaise, pimientos, sage, pepper and remaining salt; fold in squash mixture. Spoon over crumbs.
- Sprinkle with cheese and the remaining crumb mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Calico Squash Casserole(3)
Sort By :
This is a delicious casserole. I used Stove Top Stuffing instead of the crackers and mozzarella cheese instead of the cheddar. I usually try to cut calories when possible, so I used a light mayonnaise. Next time, I'll reduce the butter too. My husband loved it.
I took this to a potluck and it was gone quickly. Very good.
this was a bit labor intensive, but even people who don't care for squash loved it!!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Squash Recipes >
- Summer Squash Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >