- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups warm buttermilk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Beat in the buttermilk, oil, sugar, salt, baking soda and 2 cups of flour until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Divide into 18 pieces; roll into balls. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Buttermilk Rolls(3)
Sort By :
These were very good. They tasted like they were between a biscuit and a roll. Different. I buttered them on the outside when they came out of the oven.
I made these for a Church function, they went fast and I got lots of raves from them. They were easy to make.
My family loved these rolls!! I used whole wheat flour and they were delicious. I definitely plan to make them again.