- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley, celery ribs, lemon wedges and hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, carrot and poblano pepper; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Add beans, vodka, Worcestershire sauce and sugar; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in lemon juice, horseradish and pepper. If desired, sprinkle servings with parsley and serve with celery ribs, lemon wedges and pepper sauce. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
Originally published as Bloody Mary Soup with Beans in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014
Reviews for Bloody Mary Soup with Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review