Black Beans with Brown Rice Recipe
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-1/2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- In a large saucepan, saute peppers and onion in oil until tender. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, vinegar, garlic salt, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Serve with rice. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Black Beans with Brown Rice(5)
Sort By :
This was very good following the recipe exactly as written. The leftovers were great the next day too. I think the next time I make this I will use the leftovers either as a topping on tacos or add to burritos since it was so flavorful.
I've made this recipe several times since it was originally published. I vary the ingredients with what I have on hand, and it always turns out delicious! This has become one of my go to healthy meals for busy nights.
Delicious, easy & healthy. It's great with a dollop of sour cream on top.
Wow, was this surprisingly flavorful! I only had 1 can of beans, but it still seemed to work great. Also added a few dashes of tabasco sauce because I thought it'd be bland but it was really awesome. (Add some cilantro and lime to the rice and you've got a restaurant dish!)
it was excellent! I would just put a few less beans in next time. It's good served in a wrap as well!
More Recipe Collections
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mexican Dinners >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Vegetarian Recipes >