"A cousin gave me this recipe— she know my family loves Southwestern fare," says Sue Briski of Appleton, Wisconsin.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chopped green peppers
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup picante sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1-1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
- In a large saucepan, combine the onions, peppers, tomatoes, picante sauce, garlic and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the beans.
- Spread a third of the mixture in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with four tortillas and 2/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers; top with remaining beans.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with toppings. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Black Bean Tortilla Casserole in Light & Tasty June/July 2002, p43
Reviews for Black Bean Tortilla Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review