A salsa and sour cream sauce helps dress up these hearty vegetarian burgers. "My fiance, who's a confirmed meat-and-potatoes man, loves these sandwiches and asks for them often," relates Laura Wimbrow of Ocean City, Maryland.
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup salsa, divided
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices reduced-fat cheddar cheese (1 ounce each)
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- In a large bowl, mash beans with a fork. Add the rice, onion, egg and 2 tablespoons salsa; mix well. Drop by 1/2 cupfuls into a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray. Flatten to 1/2-in. thickness. Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until firm and browned.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and remaining salsa. Place a lettuce leaf, burger, sour cream mixture and slice of cheese on bun. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Black Bean Rice Burgers in Taste of Home June/July 2003, p10
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Black Bean Rice Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review