Here’s a fabulous alternative to battered and deep-fried shrimp. Coating the shrimp with panko breadcrumbs, spraying with cooking spray and then baking give this appetizer a wonderful crunch without all the saturated fat and calories of deep-frying. —Cher Schwartz, Ellisville, Missouri
- 1-1/2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 30 uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
- Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine egg whites and milk. In a third shallow bowl, combine flour, seafood seasoning, salt and pepper. Dip shrimp in the flour mixture, egg mixture, then bread crumbs.
- Place shrimp on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; spritz shrimp with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 8-12 minutes or until shrimp turn pink and coating is golden brown, turning once. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Better Than Fried Shrimp in Healthy Cooking February/March 2011, p62
Reviews for Better Than Fried Shrimp
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review