- 1-1/4 cups egg whites (about 9)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place egg whites in a large small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sift 1/2 cup sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- Place oven rack in the lowest position. Preheat oven to 350°. Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Best Angel Food Cake(7)
Sort By :
We have chickens so we have a lot of eggs to use and this is our favorite cake to use up some egg whites. Now if we could figure out how to use up the egg yolks! We tried this once with regular flour but the cake flour makes a much lighter cake so I would encourage you to make the recipe as written. Excellent cake just as it is, but I'm sure it would be great as a base for a trifle or with strawberries and whipped cream
It looks delicious! I've never eat this be4! But i want to ask something.....can i use powdered egg whites in place of real egg whites? As you can make meringue too with it! Just a thought.....cos i don't always have much eggs in fridge and the powder do i have always! I sure like to know! Thanks for answering in advance! :-) :-) :-)
Excellent cake. Easy to make. I had problems with my oven the day that I made this and needed to transfer the batter into 2 loaf pans and bake in a toaster oven. Turned out perfect! Cake tasted great, easy to slice, and stayed fresh for several days.
Amazing cake! It was super easy to make and it tastes like heaven a new family favorite!
The cake is exclleant the way it is