- 2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 can (28 ounces) baked beans
- 4 hot dogs, sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Prepare corn bread batter according to package directions; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the beans, hot dogs, bacon, ketchup, brown sugar and onion. Transfer to two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Sprinkle with cheese; top with corn bread batter.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Bake the second casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- To use frozen casserole: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
Reviews for Beans and Franks Bake
"I used Baked Beans with Brown Sugar (what I had on hand) and it turned out too sweet. I added some yellow mustard and it balanced out fine. Wanted a little more flavor and moistness to the cornbread, so I used a Jiffy Cornbread recipe that had Creamed Corn in it. Worked well. The family liked it and we'll have it again sometime.."
"Revamped to leave out the wheat/corn. Omitted the sugar (enough sugar in the beans & ketchup.) So it became beans and wieners in a crockpot with onion powder & cooked uncured turkey bacon. Pretty tasty!"
"Loved this recipe! I made it exactly as written and served it with some fresh pineapple on the side."
"Made a few changes. Beef sausage instead of hotdogs (had a coupon), grilled the onions in the bacon fat, used Bush's Baked Beans (another coupon deal), added some garlic salt and pepper to spice up, and used GF cornbread mix."
"This was a fun recipe. Thanks. I twisted it up a bit. I used Bush's canned beans and added a can of black beans and a small can of rotel original. We are empty nesters and usually eat a lot healthier. But my husband had this craving for beans and franks and voila! Thanks again."