Chopped fresh basil leaves add a welcome spark to these hamburgers and wonderfully capture the taste of summer. Grilling brings out the best flavors in the ground beef as well as the basil. They're a pleasant surprise at a family cookout.—Jennie Wilburn, Long Creek, Oregon
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves, minced
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 to 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 8 slices Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- In a large bowl, combine the basil, onion, bread crumbs, wine and garlic salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight patties.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Top with cheese if desired. Serve on buns. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Basil Burgers in Taste of Home June/July 1993, p41
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Basil Burgers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review