Basil Burgers with Sun-Dried Tomato Mayonnaise
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Grill: 10 min.
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Additional fresh basil leaves, optional
- In a small bowl, combine tomatoes and water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain. In a food processor, combine mayonnaise and tomatoes; cover and process until blended. Chill until serving.
- In a large bowl, combine the Worcestershire sauce, basil, Italian seasoning, garlic, pepper and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 12 thin patties. Place 2 tablespoons cheese on six patties; top with remaining patties and press edges firmly to seal.
- On a greased grill, cook burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Serve on buns with mayonnaise mixture and, if desired, additional basil.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 355 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 904mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 2, 2018
YES! Like some others, I put the cheese on top of the burger instead. It is a bigger hit with me and my husband than with the kids.
Jun 19, 2017
There just wasn't enough flavor.
Jul 26, 2016
Sep 17, 2015
The basil gives these burgers a nice summery flavor. The sun-dried tomato mayo was a hit with my family. I prepped the mayo and the burgers the night before so I only had to throw them on the grill for a delicious weeknight dinner. I melted the cheese on top instead of stuffing the burgers.
Aug 9, 2015
My family loved this recipe! It's a keeper! Very flavorful and the hamburgers don't fall apart
Jul 10, 2015
These burgers are outstanding! My husband and I really enjoyed them and I will definitely be making them often!
May 1, 2015
So good!! My 5yo ate an entire burger herself!
Dec 19, 2014
delicious burger mayo was good made a great combination.
Aug 18, 2014
I made this tonight and it's so good that I'll make again. I used fresh tomatoes instead of sun dried tomatoes and still its good and used tomato paste too. And I used fresh basil instead of dried. Jennifer m brown from Sioux falls,SD
Jun 1, 2014
even my kids loved them!!