Gourmet Burgers with Sun-Dried Tomato
This irresistible gourmet burger recipe brings together many of the flavors my family enjoys, plus there’s a delicious filling in the center. You can use almost any cheese—Gorgonzola, feta, smoked Gouda and blue all work! —Aaron Shields, Hamburg, New York
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Grill: 10 min.
- 1 jar (7 ounces) oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- Drain tomatoes, reserving 1/3 cup oil; set aside. In a large skillet, saute sliced onions in 3 tablespoons reserved oil until softened. Add vinegar. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown, 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop sun-dried tomatoes and transfer to a large bowl. Add the red onion, seasonings and remaining oil. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 16 patties. Place 2 tablespoons goat cheese on the center of 8 patties. Top with remaining patties and press edges firmly to seal.
- Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear, 5-7 minutes on each side.
- Place buns, cut side down, on grill until toasted, 1-2 minutes. Serve burgers on buns with onions.
Test Kitchen tips