Sun-Dried Tomato Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min. + standing
- 1-1/4 cups sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes and water; let stand for 15 minutes or until softened. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk and bread crumbs.
- Drain and chop the tomatoes; set aside 1/4 cup for topping. Add onion mixture, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, thyme and remaining chopped tomatoes to the egg mixture. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Combine ketchup and reserved tomatoes; spread over loaf. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Drain; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 169 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 515mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
May 25, 2015
When I took my first bite of this meatloaf I did not like it. There was a strange medicine taste. However, the more I ate, the better it tasted and I ended up eating two slices. I am looking forward to making the sandwich recipe with the leftovers.
Mar 6, 2015
This was just delicious. I subbed oatmeal for the breadcrumbs, but kept eveything else as written- we all loved it!
Jan 19, 2015
Too spicy! I had never used sun-dried tomatoes before and did not realize what an intense flavor they have.
May 6, 2012
my nonmeatloaf eating daughter loved it!
Mar 30, 2010
Very good meatloaf! I followed the recipe to the the "T" and and it came out perfect! my children went back for seconds.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.