Sun-Dried Tomato Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min. + standing
- 1-1/4 cups sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes and water; let stand for 15 minutes or until softened. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk and bread crumbs.
- Drain and chop the tomatoes; set aside 1/4 cup for topping. Add onion mixture, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, thyme and remaining chopped tomatoes to the egg mixture. Crumble beef over mixture and mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into a loaf in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Combine ketchup and reserved tomatoes; spread over loaf. Bake, uncovered, until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°, 55-60 minutes. Drain; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 169 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 515mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
May 25, 2015
When I took my first bite of this meatloaf I did not like it. There was a strange medicine taste. However, the more I ate, the better it tasted and I ended up eating two slices. I am looking forward to making the sandwich recipe with the leftovers.
Mar 6, 2015
This was just delicious. I subbed oatmeal for the breadcrumbs, but kept eveything else as written- we all loved it!
Jan 19, 2015
Too spicy! I had never used sun-dried tomatoes before and did not realize what an intense flavor they have.
May 6, 2012
my nonmeatloaf eating daughter loved it!
Mar 30, 2010
Very good meatloaf! I followed the recipe to the the "T" and and it came out perfect! my children went back for seconds.