Baked Swiss Steak Recipe
- 1/2 to 3/4 pound beef top round steak
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons sharp cheddar cheese
- Cut meat into two portions; pound to 1/4-in. thickness. Combine 1 tablespoon flour and salt; coat meat on both sides. In a skillet, brown meat in oil. Transfer meat to a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- To pan drippings, add tomatoes, carrot, celery, onion, Worcestershire sauce and remaining flour. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Pour over meat. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until the meat is tender. Sprinkle with cheese; return to the oven until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Baked Swiss Steak(7)
Sort By :
I was looking for something new to make for my husband... he really liked it. I will make this again.
I love swiss steak and know so does my son....very good especially with creamy mashed potatoes!!
nice and tasy
We loved this recipe. My husband could not believe how tender the steak turned out. I will definitely make this again and again!
We loved this recipe. My husband could not believe how tender the steak turned out. I will definitely fix this again!