- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 pound potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 12 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed (about 2-1/4 cups)
- 3 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook beef, onion and pepper over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Add garlic to beef mixture; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended.
- Gradually stir in milk. Add potatoes, water and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add cheese; stir until melted. Sprinkle servings with bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Bacon-Cheeseburger Chowder
"Absolutely loved it!!"
"I cooked up half a pound of bacon, drained part of the grease, then saut?ed my onions and peppers and added 6 minced garlic cloves (it's not a recipe if it has only 1 garlic clove!) right before I added the hamburger. I also changed the cheese, instead of processed Velveeta. I used a combination of Gruyere, Gouda and cheddar cheeses. I didn't use the bullion, don't cook with it. The soup was delicious, however something I wouldn't make regularly because of the calories."
"Thanks for a flavorful and hearty recipe. Will definitely make again. I added worchershire, salt & pepper, extra garlic powder, banana pepper and onion flakes. Next time I will par-cook the potatoes and finish them in the chowder to speed up the process."
"Excellent meal for a cool damp foggy evening at home!"
"I made this last night for my husband. I don't really know what I was expecting, but was a little disappointed with the outcome. The main reason I made it was because I had all the ingredients. I only had a taste, but to me it tasted like Hamburger Helper. Probably won't make it again."
"Very Good! Very Tasty! I couldn't believe how much it tasted like a cheeseburger. Will definitely be making this again."
"looks really good, have not tried it yet., making it tonight!"
"Won first place at Souper Bowl on 2/1/2015 !"
"One word describes this dish: FANTASTIC!!!!!"
"I just tried this chowder and it was just what we wanted on this cold winter day. I added a little bit more potato and some cracked pepper. This has just become one of our favorite soups for the cold winter months."