Chicken and Bacon Chowder
The original recipe for this chowder called for ground beef. One day I decided to use chicken instead. Everyone agreed they liked it even better. You're sure to enjoy it, too.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 pound sliced bacon
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Saute celery and onion in drippings until tender. Add potatoes, broth and carrots; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in remaining ingredients and heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 277 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 795mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Oct 15, 2010
I have made this numerous times and everyone loves it! I always get requests for thr recipe. It is a great weeknight dinner recipe---quick and simple to make, yet restaurant quality taste and presentation.