- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces and cooked
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced and cooked
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add flour and salt; stir to make a paste. Add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Cool 1 minute more. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream until smooth.
- In a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish, layer wild rice, asparagus, sour cream mixture, cheese and bacon. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Asparagus and Wild Rice Casserole
"I liked the mix of flavors but the thickening took away from it. I think I'll try this again but substitute a cup of cream of mushroom soup for the milk/flour/butter."
"We agreed with Lucajb about sauce needing additional flavor and added some Bavarian seasoning. We were a little short on the asparagus, so added a 4oz (drained) can of sliced mushrooms to compensate. Yup...phenomenal!"
"This is phenomenal!!! Big hit! This is so creamy and yummy.I would not substitute the sour cream next time, though. I did not have any, so used the cream cheese instead. It was too bland. I did add a few drops of hot sauce for a little zip.Wonderful recipe!"
"We substitute 8 oz cream cheese for the sour cream and top with parmesan cheese instead of the cheddar, It's a hands down Favorite annual venison dinner side dish"