- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1-3/4 pounds), skin removed
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Sliced green onions
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 8-10 minutes on each side or until golden brown. In a small bowl, whisk water, brown sugar, orange juice, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and five-spice powder. Pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until chicken is tender, turning chicken occasionally.
In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute or until sauce is thickened. Sprinkle with green onions. If desired, serve with rice.
Freeze option: Cool chicken. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat slowly in a covered skillet until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 5 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Asian Chicken Thighs
"easy to make. Omitted the five-spice because I didn't have it on hand, but still very good!"
"We had this 5 star recipe tonight and loved it. Made only a few minor changes like omitting the 5 spice powder but sprinkled a little cinnamon to replace it, used boneless thighs so they didn't have to cook quite so long, and omitted the green onions because I didn't have any. Both hubby and I gobbled this delicious chicken. We will definitely have this again. I highly recommend this recipe.Volunteer Field Editor"
"Great Flavor as is. My children loved it."
"I made this recipe for my family and they truly enjoyed it. I doubled sauce recipe and paired the chicken with an Asian medley of veggies and some rice. I also did not include the 5 spice powder, but it still turned out great. My son has already requested that I make this again next week."
"This recipe is fantastic and easy to make. I served Asian Peanut coleslaw with it."
"This is a great recipe! Bone in chicken thighs are always on sale and this is a great way to use them. My family loves this dish . I serve these with Mushroom Fried Rice recipe from the TOH site."
"This recipe was very good. We are trying to eat low-carb, therefore, I didn't make the rice. I did double the sauce, which wasn't really necessary without the rice, but we enjoyed it. I also omitted the Chinese five-spice powder, as I didn't have any on hand."