- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1-3/4 pounds), skin removed
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Sliced green onions
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 8-10 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. In a small bowl, whisk water, brown sugar, orange juice, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and five-spice powder. Pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until chicken is tender, turning chicken occasionally.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute or until sauce is thickened. Sprinkle with green onions. If desired, serve with rice. Yield: 5 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Asian Chicken Thighs
Sort By :
"Excellent & fast! After reading the reviews, I doubled the sauce ingredients. I didn't have the Chinese 5-spice powder, so substituted Chinese cinnamon. Also, we don't care for the dark meat of poultry, so I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts. It was wonderful. The only suggestion my family made was to cube the chicken. I served it with wide rice noodles. Delicious!"
"I made this and it was really, really good. I was missing the chinese 5 spice but found it at Amazon and have it on order."
"I added chopped red onions & fresh minced gingerroot. So yummy! Would have liked more sauce for rice though."
"Everyone loved this recipe --I cooked as directed added it to the crockpot until i was finished with the rest of dinner. Served over rice and broccoli on the side. Next time i will brown the meat and add to crock pot t finish cooking. I want to add orange zest next time as Sharon said she did."
"I made enough to serve 15 and not a drop was left! It was a huge hit with everyone. They were already requesting that I make it again for them! Made me feel Fantastic : )"