- 3 pounds tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 10 slices cinnamon-raisin bread, cubed
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Place apples in an ungreased 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the bread, brown sugar, butter, extract, cinnamon, cardamom and salt; spoon over apples. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until apples are tender.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add the sugar, lemon peel and extract; beat until soft peaks form. Serve with apple mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Apple Betty with Almond Cream
"We added a touch of tangerine zest to the recipe! Great addition!!! :) second time making in two days!!! :) yum!!!"
"Dear Bleugerman.....you might want to put on some specs and take a third look :)"
"I had to take a second look at this recipe because I thought I made a mistake. Why does the recipe list 1/2 tsp cardamom and then 1/4 tsp cardamom? In the directions it does not mention using it two ways. So what is the right amount to use? I think it sounds delicious and I would really like to make it."
"Delicious recipe. A real crowd pleaser. I used plain whipped cream but I'm sure it would be even better with the almond cream."
"This is a great recipe....the almond cream really makes it!"
"I did not think it would be so easy. and I did not think it would tast so dam good. thank you so very much. firstname.lastname@example.org"
"LOVED IT! Will definitely make this many more times. It's delicious and the smell while cooking is divine."
"This is the best apple crisp I've ever tasted - even better than my moms."