I love making this treat for friends during the peak of apple season. I plan a quick soup and bread meal, so we can get right to the dessert!—Libby Walp, Chicago, Illinois
- 3 pounds tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 10 slices cinnamon-raisin bread, cubed
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Place apples in an ungreased 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the bread, brown sugar, butter, extract, cinnamon, cardamom and salt; spoon over apples. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until apples are tender.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add the sugar, lemon peel and extract; beat until soft peaks form. Serve with apple mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Apple Betty with Almond Cream in Country Woman February/March 2011, p34
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Apple Betty with Almond Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review