- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 6 slices bread, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-1/4 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Saute green pepper and onion in oil in a large skillet until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Add eggs, milk, bread, cheese, rosemary, salt and pepper to sauteed vegetables. Crumble beef and pork over mixture and mix well.
- Pat into two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Combine ketchup, brown sugar and vinegar in a small bowl. Spread over tops.
- Bake, uncovered, 50-55 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 2 loaves (8 servings each).
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for All-American Meat Loaf
Sort By :
"This was delicious. Usually my husband will not eat leftovers but he has eaten this twice since I made it."
"This is a good meatloaf recipe. I make and freeze these for my husband (I am vegan). The only thing I do different is sub red pepper for the green (preference), use a bit less milk and I make small individual meat loaves. I buy those small disposable aluminum pans, shape and place the meat in them, then wrap well with plastic wrap, then freezer paper and seal tightly. I mark the item, date and also the directions for baking. (They do take a little less time to bake because of small size). It is so simple to pull one from freezer, thaw and bake. With a couple of side dishes he has one of his favorite meals, all fall and winter long."
"I thought this recipe was way to wet for my tastes. I like a more firm meat loaf. The taste was just ok as well. There are better meat loaf recipes out there. I wouldn't make this one again."
"I loved it, and it was easy to make."
"Excellent taste and moist!"