- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 6 slices bread, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-1/4 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Saute green pepper and onion in oil in a large skillet until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Add eggs, milk, bread, cheese, rosemary, salt and pepper to sauteed vegetables. Crumble beef and pork over mixture and mix well.
- Pat into two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Combine ketchup, brown sugar and vinegar in a small bowl. Spread over tops.
- Bake, uncovered, 50-55 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 2 loaves (8 servings each).
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for All-American Meat Loaf
Sort By :
"Turned out fantastic, thank you! Froze half the mixture and got two meals and lunches out of all of it!"
"This was delicious. Usually my husband will not eat leftovers but he has eaten this twice since I made it."
"This is a good meatloaf recipe. I make and freeze these for my husband (I am vegan). The only thing I do different is sub red pepper for the green (preference), use a bit less milk and I make small individual meat loaves. I buy those small disposable aluminum pans, shape and place the meat in them, then wrap well with plastic wrap, then freezer paper and seal tightly. I mark the item, date and also the directions for baking. (They do take a little less time to bake because of small size). It is so simple to pull one from freezer, thaw and bake. With a couple of side dishes he has one of his favorite meals, all fall and winter long."
"I thought this recipe was way to wet for my tastes. I like a more firm meat loaf. The taste was just ok as well. There are better meat loaf recipes out there. I wouldn't make this one again."
"I loved it, and it was easy to make."