- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green or sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup crushed saltines (about 12)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 4 cups hot mashed potatoes, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place a rack in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; place a 12x8-in. piece of foil in center of rack. In a large bowl, combine eggs, ketchup, onion, green pepper, crushed saltines, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Place over foil rectangle and shape into a 9x6-in. loaf. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- Transfer meat loaf to a serving plate, discarding foil. Pipe or spread 1 cup mashed potatoes over meat loaf. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with remaining mashed potatoes. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for A Christmas Story Meat Loaf
"your recipe brings back alot of memories. this is the exact same way my mother made her meatloaf while i was growing up. she always said the saltines was the secret ingredient. the only difference in the presentation was that the mashed potatoes were served to the side with my favorite - brussels sprouts - we always called them cababages, which meant baby cabbages."
"My family loved this meatloaf. I am not a big ground beef eater, and even I loved it. I will continue to make it, as it has replaced any other meatloaf recipe I used."
"I really loved this meatloaf. It is the best I've ever had. It does help to put foil over it once you pull it out of the oven so it has time to set up before you cut it. You can let it sit for about an hour if you would like to, so it does have plenty of time to cool off before cutting. The flavor was so good and I love the mashed potatoes on top. It makes this meatloaf dish very different and delicious. I will be making this often for my family to enjoy."
"The meat could have been a little more flavorful. I was worried at first that it wouldn't hold together, but letting it rest for 10 minutes is the key. It held together perfectly. I'll try this again being more aggressive with seasonings."
"I didn't add the mashed potatoes but the meatloaf was great!"
"I made this meatloaf last night and it was a huge hit. It was very, very moist and flavorful, and only contains ingredients I always have on hand. I tried to rush it and not let it stand for 10 minutes, which was a big error. I found that this recipe really needs time to set-up after it's out of the oven. It's really that moist that it started to fall apart when I hurriedly cut into it. I stopped and tented it for the suggested time and it made all the difference. I will definitely make again!"