Zucchini Sausage Pasta
"My husband and I enjoy the hearty flavor combinations in this meal," relates Karen Martis form Merrillville, Indiana. She often makes it with orzo and uses a can of zucchini in tomato sauce to speed preparation even further.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups cooked small shell pasta
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Add zucchini; saute 2 minutes longer. Drain. Stir in tomato sauce, picante sauce, onions, garlic, sugar and Italian seasoning. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in pasta and Parmesan cheese; heat through. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 240 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 1090mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Zucchini Sausage Pasta in Quick Cooking November/December 2003