- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups hot water
- 2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked small shell pasta
- 4 jarred jalapeno slices
- 1 bottle (32 ounces) V8 juice
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, celery, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, potatoes, corn, pasta and jalapeno.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook and stir until heated through. Yield: 10 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
Reviews forZesty Hamburger Soup
"I've been making a variation of this soup for years and my family loves it! I will use different vegetables about every 2 times of making it. I will also add bouillon cubes or paste to it to get the really beefy flavor. Excellent base recipe and thank you so much for sharing!!"
"This was a good soup, but it was bland. Even with jalapeno and diced tomoates. And way to many at that. Needs more seasonings."
"This was good but it's missing something. I added salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder while cooking the ground beef. I omitted the macaroni and used 4 1/2 cups of V-8 juice and only a 1/2 cup of water. If you use the full 4 cups of water it will turn out way to watery and bland. I think next time I will add a couple of bay leaves while cooking."
"This made a ton of soup. Fortunately it was really good! I really liked it and so did my husband. Kids wouldn't eat it but they are so picky. I hope this freezes well!"
"I would cool this all the time if I could! I usually keep the noodles separate and add little to each bowl, so the noodles don't soak up all the soup."
"HAVENT MADE IT YET-REASON FOR 2 STARS. COULD YOU USE PLAIN TOMATO JUICE INSTEAD OF THE V8 JUICE?"
"This is delicious! I followed the recipe, but tweaked it a bit as I cooked it. After adding the 1 lb of hamburger it did not seem meaty enough with 2 cups of celery so I added 1/2 lb more. After I brought to a boil, I added beef bouillon paste to taste. I wanted a rich beefy flavor with the V8. Once I added the final V8 and rotel, it is very liquid. I brought it to boil then reduced to simmer with lid off till it thickened and the end result is amazing! This is a keeper!"