- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press half into a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish or a 9-in. square baking pan. Cover with apples.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water and vanilla. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thick and clear. Pour over apples. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake 60-65 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm, with ice cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forWinning Apple Crisp
"Made it as written and used Granny Smith Apples. Just the right amount of topping and a good amount of apple filling. Will make it again."
"Absolutely delicous! It was a hit with everyone. I made it as the the recipe stated and it was great. We liked the chewy, crispy topping but would have liked more of it. I will double that part when I make it again."
"Delicious! I sprinkled extra cinnamon and sugar over the apples before adding the crumb topping."
"easy to make and family loved it. Delish!!!!"
"Delicious;!! I used Granny Smith apples and doubled the recipe. Made for group of 16 and everyone loved it! Put topping in bottom as suggested, did not count/measure apples, just kept piling them up till they filled my Pyrex dish (9 x 13) and put remainder of topping, as best I could, on top before pouring liquid over. Put pan or foil under dish since it will probably bubble over in oven. Served with vanilla ice cream, but excellent without!"
"I tried this using less sugar and more apples. Different than any recipe I've used in the past.Turned out fabulous. This is the only way I will ever make it from now on. I'm sure other types of fruit would be good, also! Thanks so much. 10*'s here!"
"Just made this today, it is excellent. I followed recipe as is and next time I will cut both the brown sugar and white in half. It is sweet as apple crisp is, but it wouldn't hurt cutting back a bit. Taste just like from a restaurant! :)"
"I agree, too much sugar! The second time I made it I used 1/2 cup of both sugars. I will use 1/4 cup the next time I make it. Delicious hot with vanilla ice cream!"
"This was really good but also very sweet. We really enjoyed it but like other reviews I will cut back on the sugar next time. I will be making it again!"