- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- Mixed fresh berries and confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, flax, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg yolks, milk, oil and applesauce; stir into dry ingredients until just moistened.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Serve with berries and confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 12 waffles.
Reviews forWholesome Whole-Grain Waffles
"This is the only waffle recipe I use now. My family loves it."
"these waffles were just so, so. texture was good for the whole wheat flour ratio, taste alright, ease of preparation good, but nothing special."
"Great recipe! For a healthy alternatative to the traditional waffle recipe, I was pleasantly surprised when the kids asked for seconds. This is definitely a keeper."
"These were great! Since my husband cannot have milk, I used almond milk. I substituted whole wheat sprouted grain flour for the all purpose flour. Really enjoyed these."