Easy Morning Waffles
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
Makes14 waffles (1 cup syrup)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks, milk, oil and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Bake in a preheated waffle maker according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown.
- In a microwave, melt the butter, honey and cinnamon; stir until smooth. Serve waffles with syrup.
Freeze option: Arrange waffles in a single layer on sheet pans. Freeze overnight or until frozen. Transfer to a freezer container. Pour remaining syrup into a freezer container. Freeze up to 2 months. To use, reheat waffles in a toaster. Microwave syrup until heated through, and serve with waffles.
Test Kitchen Variations
Nutrition Facts2 each: 464 calories, 25g fat (10g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 442mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Apr 22, 2015
Enjoyed by the whole family. I didn't try the syrup recipe, but we enjoyed the hint of cinnamon in the waffles.
Oct 12, 2014
Enjoyed by all. I omitted the cinnamon and just used bottled syrup for a quick meal. I also used some whole wheat flour in place of the all purpose. Good, simple waffle recipe.
May 3, 2014
Great waffle recipe. Folding the beaten egg whites into the batter just before cooking really makes them light. I did not make the syrup. In my attempt to make Churro Waffles for Cinco de Mayo, I dipped the freshly baked waffles in melted butter then flipped them (both sides) into a bowl of cinnamon/sugar. They were delicious - none left to freeze.
Feb 16, 2014
Excellent for Belgian waffles as well!
Nov 27, 2013
Very good waffle recipe. We put ours in the oven to keep warm and make the outside nice and crispy. We did not try the syrup.
May 27, 2013
Waffles were just a tad on the chewy sidewich I don't care for. They were, however, relatively easy and fast to make. The honey,butter,cinnamon sauce was a nice alternative to the bottle syrups you find in the store.
Sep 28, 2010
These were so good! I used almond milk because my son is allergic to dairy. I only wanted to make half the amount of syrup, but forgot when I added the cinnamon and added the full teaspoon. I didn't have any more honey to complete the recipe so I just added 1/4 cup of light corn syrup to the 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup honey and 1 tsp. cinnamon and I thought it tasted very good.