Whole Wheat Waffles with Chicken & Spinach Sauce
On a business trip years ago, I got the idea for waffles with chicken and spinach. When I serve it, people go back for seconds, even thirds. —Vicki Melies, Elkhorn, Nebraska
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 5 min./batch
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a small saucepan, combine soup, spinach, 1/2 cup milk and chicken; cook over medium heat 5-7 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. If desired, stir in additional milk for a thinner consistency. Remove from heat; cover to keep warm.
- For waffles, in a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk and melted butter until blended. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown. Cut each waffle in half. Serve with sauce; sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1/2 waffle and 3 tablespoons sauce: 335 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 647mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Belgian Whole Wheat Waffles with Spinach Chicken Sauce in Taste of Home April/May 2015