This crunchy salad makes a great first course or side, but is hearty enough to be an entree when paired with a crusty artisan bread. We love it served warm. —Grace Voltolina, Westport, Connecticut
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 firm medium pears
- 1/4 cup brandy or Cognac, optional
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 cups shredded or thinly sliced cabbage
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup crumbled or sliced Gorgonzola cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Peel, core and cut pears into 1/2-in. slices. Toss with brandy; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add fennel; saute until crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes. Add cabbage; toss with fennel. Cook until both are tender, 2-3 minutes longer. Add pears, water, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper to skillet, gently combining ingredients. Cook until all liquids are absorbed, 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat; transfer to a serving bowl. Top with Gorgonzola cheese and toasted walnuts. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Warm Cabbage, Fennel and Pear Salad in Taste of Home November 2017