Vegetable Curried Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/3 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a small saucepan, cook rice and onion in oil until rice is lightly browned and onion is tender. Stir in the broth, curry powder, salt and turmeric. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Stir in corn and peas. Cover and simmer 3-6 minutes longer or until rice and vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with almonds.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 184 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 318mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 reduced-fat milk, 1-1/2 fat.
Aug 9, 2014
Very good, but I really like curry so I ended up adding one teaspoon + curry powder. I will definately make this again and will also double the reciepe to maybe have leftovers.
Dec 30, 2012
This is a great recipe that goes with a variety of meats, and one I make often. I usually double the recipe and often skip the almonds. Thanks!
Feb 5, 2010
This wasn't anything special.