Vegetable Curried Rice
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/3 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a small saucepan, cook rice and onion in oil until rice is lightly browned and onion is tender. Stir in the broth, curry powder, salt and turmeric. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Stir in corn and peas. Cover and simmer 3-6 minutes longer or until rice and vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with almonds.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 184 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 318mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 reduced-fat milk, 1-1/2 fat.
Aug 9, 2014
Very good, but I really like curry so I ended up adding one teaspoon + curry powder. I will definately make this again and will also double the reciepe to maybe have leftovers.
Dec 30, 2012
This is a great recipe that goes with a variety of meats, and one I make often. I usually double the recipe and often skip the almonds. Thanks!
Feb 5, 2010
This wasn't anything special.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.