When I really want to impress guests, I serve this decadent bread pudding. With just a few staple ingredients—bread, eggs, sugar and chocolate—I'm able to turn out this masterpiece in no time! —Erin Chilcoat, Smithtown, New York
Recommended: 25 Light Chocolate Dessert Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound egg bread or challah, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 2 to 3 teaspoons brandy, optional
- SWEETENED WHIPPED CREAM:
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons brandy, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9-in. springform pan with 1 tablespoon butter. Cube remaining butter; place in a small saucepan. Add chocolate chips and brown sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, espresso powder and salt. Gently stir in bread; let stand until bread is softened, about 15 minutes. Fold in chocolate mixture. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 45-55 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, heat cream in a small heavy saucepan until bubbles form around sides. In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk, brown sugar and salt. Whisk a small amount of hot cream into egg mixture; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Stir in butter. Fold in pecans and coconut. If desired, stir in brandy. Cool.
- For whipped cream, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and, if desired, brandy; beat until soft peaks form.
- Loosen sides of pan with a knife. Carefully run a knife around edge of springform pan to loosen; remove rim from pan. Serve pudding warm with sauce and whipped cream. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Ultimate Chocolate Bread Pudding in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p120