This side always takes my guests by surprise because of the smoky, creamy flavor and the pretty presentation. No doubt you'll get major kudos when you place these on your table. —Cynthia Boberskyj, Rochester, New York
Recommended: 25 New Ways to Make Mashed Potatoes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 medium sweet potatoes (about 12 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375°. Scrub sweet potatoes; pierce several times with a fork. Place in a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan; bake until tender, 1 to 1-1/4 hours. Cool slightly.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each potato; discard slice. Scoop out pulp, leaving thin shells. In a large bowl, mash pulp with butter, salt and pepper; stir in cheese and bacon. Spoon into potato shells.
- Return to pan. Bake until heated through, 15-20 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes in Taste of Home October/November 2008, p17