VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Turkey backbone, neck bone and wing tips, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add turkey parts; brown on all sides, 8-10 minutes. Remove from pan. Add carrots, celery and onion; cook and stir until browned and softened, 6-8 minutes.
- Return turkey parts to Dutch oven. Pour in broth; stir in parsley, garlic, bay leaves and peppercorns. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Strain broth; discard bones, vegetables, bay leaves and peppercorns. Return broth to pan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Whisk cornstarch mixture into broth until thickened. Stir in remaining ingredients. Yield: 3-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Turkey Gravy in Taste of Home Cooking School Recipe Collection-MAG Fall 2017