Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups crushed Shredded Wheat (about 4 large)
- 2 cups All-Bran
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine oats, Shredded Wheat and bran. Add buttermilk, water, oil and eggs; stir for 1 minute. Stir in brown sugar. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to the cereal mixture until blended.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 166 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 20, 2012
These muffins are very good if you like a true bran taste, which I do. Using the different cereals was a twist and I like using buttermilk. I may add some spices next time. But very good.
Apr 26, 2012
These muffins are okay, but definitely need a little something added for some spice or flavour. Maybe the raisins etc like Bricon suggested or some cinnamon added to mix might be nice.
Dec 12, 2009
I've made a number of times for myself and even for a coffee bar. Easy, keeps well in the fridge and you can always add flavours in small batches - raisins, dried cranberry, banana, choc chips. Definitely a family favourite.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.