Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups crushed Shredded Wheat (about 4 large)
- 2 cups All-Bran
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine oats, Shredded Wheat and bran. Add buttermilk, water, oil and eggs; stir for 1 minute. Stir in brown sugar. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to the cereal mixture until blended.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 166 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 20, 2012
These muffins are very good if you like a true bran taste, which I do. Using the different cereals was a twist and I like using buttermilk. I may add some spices next time. But very good.
Apr 26, 2012
These muffins are okay, but definitely need a little something added for some spice or flavour. Maybe the raisins etc like Bricon suggested or some cinnamon added to mix might be nice.
Dec 12, 2009
I've made a number of times for myself and even for a coffee bar. Easy, keeps well in the fridge and you can always add flavours in small batches - raisins, dried cranberry, banana, choc chips. Definitely a family favourite.