Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 1/3 cup uncooked bulgur
- 2 cups vegetable or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sherry, optional
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and carrot in oil for 3-4 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the rice, barley and bulgur; saute for 4 minutes or until grains are lightly browned.
- Gradually add broth and sherry if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; stir in oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 40-45 minutes or until grains are tender and the liquid is absorbed. Stir in parsley and sprinkle with almonds.
Editor's NoteLook for quinoa in the cereal, rice or organic food aisle.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 238 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 498mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Nov 10, 2013
Absolute hit this morning at brunch. Got asked for the recipe. Made one change, I almost never have dried oregano or basil on hand (as in next to the stove) so I usually use Herbs de Provence. Did today too. Also because of a vegan in my life, I used veggie stock.
Jun 19, 2011
Fantastic recipe! I've made it numerous times and am almost always asked for the recipe. I throw it all in the rice cooker and it works great.
May 6, 2010
This was one of the most disgusting things I've ever tasted. I followed the recipe exactly. It was inedible.
Apr 27, 2009
Wonderful recipe: used it for gourmet club and we all loved it. So easy to do.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.