Teriyaki sauce, Chinese five-spice powder, ginger and sesame oil combine in this overnight marinade that gives plenty of Asian flair to grilled flank steak. —Nancy Fairless of Clifton, New Jersey
Recommended: Top 10 Grilled Steak Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 pounds beef flank steak
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Score the surface of the steak with shallow diagonal cuts, making diamond shapes. In a small bowl, combine the teriyaki sauce, oil, ginger, garlic, five-spice powder and pepper.
- Pour 2/3 cup marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the steak and green onions. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill steak, covered, over medium-hot heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°), brushing occasionally with reserved marinade. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Teriyaki Flank Steak in Light & Tasty February/March 2004, p27
Reviews forTeriyaki Flank Steak
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 12, 2010
"This is Fantastic!"