Teriyaki Tuna Steaks
"After sampling some wonderful tuna at a Japanese restaurant, I decided to try my hand at coming up with the recipe," says Michelle Dennis of Clarks Hill, Indiana. "It took a little trial and error, but I was pleased with the results—these seasonings are a lovely complement to the tuna."
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sherry or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 4 tuna steaks (6 ounces each)
- In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Remove 1/3 cup to a small bowl for basting; cover and refrigerate. Pour remaining marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add tuna. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Drain and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill tuna, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes on each side for medium-rare or until slightly pink in the center, basting frequently with reserved marinade.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 338 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 484mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 52g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Teriyaki Tuna Steaks in Light & Tasty April/May 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.