Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- In a small bowl, whisk the water, vinegar, oil, tomato paste, 1 teaspoon garlic salt, 1/2 teaspoon thyme and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; add bay leaf. Pour into a large resealable plastic bag.
- Score the surface of the steak, making diamond shapes 1/4 in. deep; add to marinade. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Drain and discard marinade. Pat steak dry with paper towels. Combine the remaining garlic salt, thyme and pepper; rub over both sides of steak.
- On a lightly oiled grill rack, grill steak, covered, over medium-hot heat or broil 4 in. from the grill for 6-8 minutes on each side or until the meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 5 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain.
Nutrition Facts3 ounce-weight: 175 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 294mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat.
Jun 1, 2015
This fine cut of meat was wasted on this recipe due to the excessive thyme flavor, which did not go with it at all. I'll be putting a beef flavored Au jus, barbecue sauce or maybe even some horseradish on the remaining portion in order to make it more palatable, as it was too pricey to just toss out. Next time I'll cut the meat in half and not risk the whole thing it on an untried (by me) recipe.
Aug 25, 2012
Follow the recipe when it comes to the temperature readings i cooked it to 160 and it was just enough to make the redness to go away put the meat still was slightly pinkish inside!!!!!! This is a great recipe that from now on will be my base for preparing any type of steak!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.