Taffy Apple Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 3 cups diced unpeeled apples
- 1-1/2 cups lightly salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. In a large bowl, combine pineapple and marshmallows; cover and refrigerate for several hours.
- In a saucepan, combine the egg, sugars, flour, vinegar and reserved pineapple juice; cook and stir until mixture thickens and reaches 160°. Remove from the heat; cool. Cover and refrigerate.
- Fold whipped topping into the chilled dressing. Add the apples and peanuts to the pineapple and marshmallows. Fold dressing into fruit mixture. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 315 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 93mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Sep 19, 2016
This recipe is fantastic! Follow the directions exactly and it's perfect!
Nov 14, 2013
I made this salad and loved it. I will be making it for Thanksgiving. Thanks to the person who shared it.
Dec 24, 2012
Unfortunately this salad was a huge disappointment. I won't be making it again and I'm not even sure if I want to serve it. The ingredients just don't go well together and the smell of the cider vinegar coming from it is completely overwhelming.
Aug 7, 2011
I love that this salad is different. The nuts added an unexpected crunch.
Jul 17, 2011
This was so easy to make, it was a big hit with the kids, they were so amazed it tasted just like a taffy apple.
Feb 8, 2011
Wonderful and just different enough to surprise your guests. A family favorite at our house.
Jun 28, 2008
Make 1/2 for home serving