Swedish Rice Ring
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Fresh or thawed frozen sweetened strawberries
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; set aside. In a small heavy saucepan, combine milk, rice, sugar and salt; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes until rice is tender. Remove from heat; stir in gelatin mixture until completely dissolved. Refrigerate, covered, until partially set.
- In a bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into chilled rice mixture. Spoon into a 6-cup ring mold coated with cooking spray; refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours. Unmold onto a serving platter. Serve with strawberries.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 170 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 139mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 10, 2018
Looks like a great basic recipe but will make with some vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar for flavor. My German father made the best rice pudding with a cinnamon/wine sauce. Nice to know that MD 20/20 wine I usable in real recipes. Will rate when I make in a couple of weeks (broke foot issue at present)
Nov 9, 2013
Love this dessert! Use organic whipping cream and raspberries for a different taste.