Swedish Cream Apple Rings
My mother made this classic coffee cake for every important holiday... Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. Now, I carry on the tradition. As I make them, I remember my mom, who was a lot like this recipe: soft and tasteful but full of surprises. The overnight rise let's you make the dough in advance so your morning won't be hectic.—Heather Hood, Hillsboro, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes2 rings (10 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk (110° to 115°)
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 cups finely chopped peeled apples
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup cinnamon-sugar
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add the yeast mixture, cream, milk and egg yolks; stir until mixture forms a soft dough. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a small bowl, combine the filling ingredients. Punch down dough; divide in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion into a 13x7-in. rectangle. Sprinkle with half of filling.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends together to form a ring. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Cover and let rise in a warm place, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm rings.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 290 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 123mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Kris Evans' Swedish Cream Breakfast Ring in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.