Fruited Swedish Tea Ring
I entered this festive tea ring in our agricultural fair, and it won top honors. Every year, I make around 15 of the tasty "wreaths" to give as fresh-from-the-kitchen gifts.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes2 tea rings
- 1 cup chopped candied fruit
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/4 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- Candied cherries, optional
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cover and refrigerate. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast, 1/4 cup water and 1 teaspoon sugar in 1/4 cup warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine remaining water and sugar; stir until dissolved. Add yeast mixture, eggs, shortening, salt and 3 cups flour; mix until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 16x9-in. rectangle. Sprinkle filling over dough to within 1/2 in. of edge.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Place on greased baking sheets; pinch ends together to form a ring. With a scissors, cut from outside edge two-thirds of the way toward center of ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips lightly; twist to allow filling to show. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks for 20 minutes. For icing, combine the confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and milk; drizzle over tea rings while warm. Decorate with cherries if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 162 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 139mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.