Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Drain tomatoes, reserving 1/4 cup juice; set aside. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer the zucchini, onion and rice; dot with 1 tablespoon butter. Top with squash and tomatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic salt, pepper and reserved juice; pour over tomatoes. Dot with remaining butter.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until rice is tender. Uncover; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 165 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 508mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat.
Jul 30, 2015
Very good! I did not have stewed tomatoes so just used canned whole tomatoes. This was a very tasty dish. I also omitted the salt cause who needs more salt?! :)
Jul 8, 2012
I have searched for over a year for this recipe. I found it in the magazine then lost the magazine. Great for garden bounty of tomatoes, yellow and zuchinni squash
May 11, 2010
Not sure how to pronounce Squash Provencal, but our family sure appreciates the taste and beauty of this dish.